Friday, May 18, 2018

Weekly Wrap Up - Mother's Day Week

Saturday was crazy busy.   The girls and I worked concessions at a soccer tournament from 8:30am until 1:15pm.   We came home and had lunch, then I completed all the summer ballet camp registrations and wrapped birthday presents and a Mother's Day gift for Tom's mother.  In late afternoon Lindsey went to a birthday party and we took Olivia to watch a friend play in a baseball tournament. We stopped for ice cream on the way home, score!

Sunday was of course Mother's Day, our first without Mom here.  It was different.   I held up pretty well, other than 1/2 way through our Sunday morning service when the Pastor says "No matter how old you get, you still need your Mom."   Cue the waterworks, ahem.   In other news Tom took the girls shopping and the picked out some lovely additions for my flower garden.   Isn't the gnome just the cutest??
Monday was  regular school day.   We got lots of academics completed and also worked on a few upcoming reviews.   Olivia and I started working on learning Creole for our trip to Haiti.   End of year test results were emailed to me in the afternoon so I worked on our Notice of Intent and other documents to send in to the local school board in order to be in compliance.   Lindsey was supposed to have sewing class at 6pm.   We pulled in to a dark building, come to find out the class had been cancelled but I hadn't been notified, grrrr.   Then as we were leaving a monster storm hit.   Trees and power lines were down everywhere, there was flooding and lots of damage in our area.   It was crazy and lasted for what seemed like forever, but was probably only an hour or so.

Tuesday I headed out early to get my next round of vaccinations for my trip.   While I was out I mailed all of our required documents to the school board.   I'm glad I started lumping it all together in one mailing, it cost almost $8 to get it sent across town with a signature return receipt.   I also picked up my new glasses.   The bifocals will take a bit to get used to, just because I'm so used to taking my glasses off to read, or looking over the of them.  

Olivia worked on another dissection in the afternoon.   This one was the fetal pig, and I'll just say the pig they used on the video was SO much nicer and more developed than this little pitiful thing they sent us.
Despite how immature the fetal pig was, Olivia still enjoyed dissecting it.  We were able to determine that it was a female when we found ovaries.    I had to laugh once it was done because Olivia looks at the poor little thing and says "Rest in pieces!"

Wednesday was another typical school day (boring huh?).  Lindsey doubled up on her schoolwork so she wouldn't be in a rush on Thursday.

Thursday I dropped Lindsey off at the museum for another full work day.  It's been raining all week, and pouring today, so I'm glad she's in one of the more sound farms.    Olivia finished up her art curriculum for the year.  She has really loved this class and has grown so much as an artist this year!

Friday (today) we have co-op.   Once we're done with classes we'll head home for lunch and then  take Lindsey back to work at the museum from 1-5pm.   Olivia has a birthday party in the evening.  Truthfully, Lindsey was invited too, but since it's a skating party at the same place she broke her elbow she's opting not to go.  If the rains stop, she'll go with my husband to his softball game.

Around the net this week, I shared about Motherhood Comes Full Circle over at Homeschooling With Heart.

We've had rain every day this week, and are supposed to get another 2-5 inches today into tomorrow.   Here's to dry days and sunshine soon!
Pin It!


  1. We had lots of rain too! I bet that first mother's day without your mom must have been tough but I am so glad that you made it through with your lovely family around.

  2. We've been getting a lot of rain here too. I'm ready for sunshine! Mother's Day without mom is hard, especially the first one - (((hugs))) Thanks for linking up!

  3. We are being soaked over here as well. Your little fetal pig is tiny. I ordered ours so long ago, I can't remember if they gave a choice of gestation or if it was just luck, but ours was a still born.
    Blessings, Dawn

  4. Oh good golly, I recall doing the same my freshman year-- you NEVER forget that smell!

    1. Yes! The smell took me right back to Mr. Miller's 6th period science room!


Thank you for stopping by!