Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

This and That

First of all, to all of my devoted readers (both of you), I'd like to say I'm sorry for swamping you with product reviews this month.   However, believe me when I say it's much easier being the one having to read them all in January as opposed to being the one who is doing them all in January.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but this last 6 weeks has been a little swamped in the review area (especially math).  

Speaking of math...and no it's not a review.   I found the coolest resource at the library.  It's called "Rock n Learn"...Addition Rap.   Yep, you read it right, RAP.  We played the cassette today while the girls worked on their seatwork and they loved it.  Lindsey is such an auditory learner!  She picked up a lot of info just from today.   It's too bad they don't cover the number 7 in some way, because she's still having trouble recognizing that number when she sees it.

Our weather has been frigid for the last several weeks.  Temperatures in the single digits and strong winds have landed us stuck indoors for the most part.  We venture out for ballet and Awana, but that's about it.   We still have a great deal of snow on the ground, left over from our December 18 snowstorm.  Sadly, the snow is now nothing but ice and it doesn't appear to be leaving anything soon.   Co-op was cancelled last week due to bad weather (we're averaging an ice storm or snow storm almost every Friday.)

Since our weather has been frightful, I picked up "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder as a read aloud in the evenings.  It's been interesting drawing similarities in the story and things happening in our lives recently.   Although we are obviously in no way in the dire straits that the Ingalls family was in during that year.

I'm starting to think about and plan our upcoming year.  Deciding what things to keep and what things to toss is always fun and intimidating all at the same time.   I'm certain we'll be dropping co-op this year.  Likewise I know I'll be continuing with Cantering the Country, but I'll be beefing it up in the science area with something from Apologia, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

For those of you who have followed the progress of my father-in-law, I'm happy to report that he is doing phenomenal!!   He stayed with us for 9 days after his release from the hospital.  His leaving was emotional all the way around, but I can tell that a lot of good came out of his stay here.  Besides his obvious health improvements, the relationships and bonds that were built and strengthened during that time are wonderful.   36 hours after he went home, his wife was taken to the emergency room with a ruptured appendix.  She's been hospitalized since Sunday and is scheduled to go home sometime this afternoon.  I've offered my assistance, but my father-in-law has taken full responsibility for her care.  I believe the last three to four weeks have been real eye openers for both of them in a lot of ways!

I guess that is all the randomness I have to share right now.  I'm sure I'll be posting another lovely review for you to enjoy shortly!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!