Pages

Friday, November 6, 2015

Weekly Wrap Up–Earthquakes & Volcanoes

As I mentioned a few weeks back, science wasn’t going so well this year for the youngest child.  I decided to back up and punt and I’m really glad I did.   This week we’ve studied earthquakes and volcanoes (we had a small 2.2 earthquake close by as an added bonus, ahem).   We read a pile of books (ok I read, she yawned and looked bored).   Then I pulled out my secret weapon….

100_0024

That’s right folks, a Magic School Bus Volcano Kit.  This changed the whole dynamic of the learning experience as my little scientist did experiments, painted her volcano and then made it erupt over and over, and in every color imaginable.

100_0042100_0039

100_0037

100_0048

100_0051

The best part, was that after we ran out of vinegar and cleaned up the mess, I found her curled up like this, totally engrossed in the volcano book that had caused yawns earlier in the week.   Score!!

100_0058

Olivia started karate, because we don’t have nearly enough going on as it is, snark.   The class she is in is for 8-12 year olds.  She’s the only new student, and the only girl in class.   Week one went well, until they put her in the sparring circle at the end of class against the top ranked student in the class.   The moment the instructor said “Go!”, Olivia drilled the boy right square on the nose and knocked him backwards out of the circle.   I had to laugh out loud as the stunned instructor waffled back and forth between “No, you can’t take a head shot” and “That was a beautiful punch, great rotation!”

Overall it was another good week, although the time change has been really hard for some reason.  The evenings just seem to drag on forever and  we’re all just dragging a bit. Hoping we adjust soon.

This week is the end of the 5-week challenge I’m doing.  I’m still exercising every day (I’ve missed 2 days in 5 weeks).  Monday I weigh in, gulp!   How was your week?

Linking up with the Weekly Wrap Up and Collage Friday.

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Love the MSB science kits! We've used a few of them and they've all been lots of fun. Hadn't tried the volcano kit - will have to add that to our list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to add a few others throughout the year...funds permitting. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. My two are 5th and 6th grade and I have found this year that they approach science in different ways! Those types of kits are just the ticket for my 6th grader while my 5th grader would rather learn the material from videos and reading lessons. So we just take the same topic and let them each learn in their own way. Usually I see them looking over each other's shoulder at what the other is doing, too. Great job on your exercising challenge! Good luck at your weigh in on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest ended up asking to help with the experiments. Funny how something like that can be such a big hit!

      Delete
  3. What a great science kit. I am so glad it came to life for her. We are not super happy with the time change either.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really enjoyed it! I'd like to add a few more of these kits over the remainder of the school year, but I'll have to see how the budget works out.

      P.S. on a side note, I always visit your blog, and I see that people comment, but I can't for the life of me figure out where to put a new comment.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!