Pages

Friday, September 1, 2017

Weekly Wrap Up - School Is Now In Session

This was our first official week of the 2017-2018 academic year.  (On a side note, anytime I write out the year I flash back to all the Y2K craziness and realize how long ago that was.)  We had a oh-so-busy, but productive first week.

On Monday we hit the gym early, ran by the bank then came home to hit the books.  The day sounds so violent with all this "hitting", grins.   We went over our plans and the way I have each girls' lessons laid out in my planner so they'd know what to copy into theirs.  We're focusing on more independence this year.  Midday I made homemade Belgian waffles with Nutella and whipped cream for a back to school brunch, yum!
Olivia had her first away volleyball match in the evening.   I had to drop her off at her school at 2:50, they travelled by bus as a group (JV, Varsity, Middle School volleyball and varsity soccer) with the first games starting at 5 and the last starting at 7pm.   We traveled to watch the game, it was bad, enough said.  We grabbed something for dinner on the way home and finally got back home a little after 10pm, I kid you not.

Tuesday I'd planned to again go to the gym early, however after getting home so late on Monday, I knew waking Olivia up early would be a bad plan.   I let her sleep until 10am.  Lindsey and I worked on her lessons and she was mostly done with our together work by the time Olivia got up.  I fixed an early supper and we wolfed it down as we ran out the door to Olivia's volleyball practice (it was from 4:30-6pm), I sat in the parking lot and read while she was there, then I took her home and Lindsey and I left for our volleyball practice that started at 7pm and lasted until 8:15pm.   Busy, hectic schedule today!

Wednesday we went to the gym then started on schoolwork.  There was absolutely nothing on the calendar, so I made a nice big family dinner of baked chicken, mashed potatoes, fried squash and hot rolls.  Family dinner time is a big deal in our hose and none of us like it when we don't get to sit down together and eat, unfortunately for the next 6 weeks it's going to be happening less frequently.

Thursday we went to the gym, then we came home and I started laundry while the kids started their school work.  Olivia is starting is still trying to find a routine that works for her with her heavy academic load.   She's making progress, but it's taking a bit of time to figure out.  We were off to Olivia's 2nd away game for 5:30 game time. The third game in the set was a real nail biter, it was supposed to end at 15, (you have to win by 2) so they kept tying it up until 22. It was a much better game than Monday, but they did lose in the end.  At 6:50 Lindsey and I had to leave to get to our 7pm practice across town.

Friday morning (today) we have our first day of co-op.  We ended up with 9 kids, grades 6-10, with classes in ASL, botany and language arts/literature.  This is a pretty interesting blend of kids, and I think the year is gong to be fun!

In other news, I'm now a contributing writer over at the Homeschooling With Heart blog. My first article goes live on September 8.

How has your week been?

Linking up with the Weekly Wrap Up.
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. Wow! Volleyball sounds all consuming! We start our crazy dance schedule next week.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has taken on a life of it's own, but the good news it's a short season sport, so by October 21 we're done!

      Delete
  2. What a jammed week. Congrats on becoming a contributing writer at Homeschooling with Heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very busy indeed. I'm just a bit tired to be honest!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very busy week! I am curious about the fried squash though; I have never heard of fried squash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slice the squash in rounds, add salt/pepper and whatever seasonings I want then dip in egg and either bread crumbs or flour depending on what I have on hand, and fry until fork tender. Delish! Try it and let me know if you like it.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on becoming a contributing writer on the HwH blog! I look forward to reading your posts! It looks like you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a good week, but I'm ready for a break!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a fun first week! And congratulations on becoming a Hearts at Home contributor. :-) I'm stopping by from #HSBAT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, but that is quite a volley all schedule. I just don't remember it being so rigorous when I played in high school. We practiced and such, but... wow. I hope you all manage well during the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 2 girls and they are in 2 different leagues, that's why it seems all encompassing. If it were just 1 it would be much less running!

      Delete
  7. It definitely takes awhile to settle into a new school routine and figure out what works. I'm hoping we'll be able to settle in relatively quickly. Congrats on starting as a contributing writer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!