Pages

Friday, September 15, 2017

Weekly Wrap Up - Week Three

Our second week of co-op went fairly well last Friday.   We're starting to get into our grove as a group and trying to get used to everyone's learning and teaching styles.   I'm teaching botany this year (science is sooooo not my subject of choice).   We spent our class time this wee learning about plant cells, the organelles and their jobs.  Once we finished the tedious part of note taking and diagram labeling we moved into making edible plant cell models.   With the exception of one kid whose parent didn't tell me she is allergic to milk products, it went well.  
We used Rice Krispy treats for the body of the cell, vanilla frosting for the cytoplasm, green tree shaped sprinkles for chloroplast, red tree sprinkles for mitochondria and some Airhead sours for the cell wall and also for the golgi apparatus and a gummy fruit snack for the nucleus.   Even high school kids like food projects!  And before you say it, yes I know there are more organelles than this, but when you start buying all those candies it gets kind of expensive, so go with it.

Both girls are finding their own rhythm with their school work.  Lindsey of course is getting done earlier because she's not doing high school level classes.  She spends her extra time reading and working on three (yes 3) 1000 piece puzzles that are in different rooms of the house.

By far, Olivia's favorite class this year is art.  I'm really glad I picked Artistic Pursuits for her this year.  I can really see a big improvement in her skill level already.
 

Lastly, don't miss my article Finishing the Race over at Homeschooling With Heart.   This was my first guest post over there and I'm really excited about it.

Liking up with the Weekly Wrap Up.
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Yummy edible cells! I just adore your daughter's drawing too; she did such a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the edible cell. We are doing plant cells in a few weeks and I was looking at edible cells. I like the simplicity of yours.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few different types of sprinkles could be used to add more "organelles" to keep cost down.

      Delete
  3. Loved the analogy on your guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer that the allergy wasn't shared in advance!!! Awesome drawing by your girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I had a place for allergies on the registration form. It was still fun even though the one student had to just sit and watch.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!