Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Nutcracker–Unit Study

003

My lovely ballerinas love all things Nutcracker, so we absolutely HAD to do a Nutcracker Unit Study this year.

Nutcracker 003Nutcracker 001

I had planned to create my own unit, then I found this easy to follow unit study on line.  Then I found a larger unit study from the San Francisco Ballet, so I combined the two.  I also used resources from a unit study at Joyful Songs – Music Education Blog.   Just when I thought it couldn’t get any better Homegrown Learners posted a free Nutcracker Unit as well.  Throw in the ballet lapbook at Homeschool Share and there really is no need to reinvent the “Nutcracker wheel”.  Instead I decided to put them all together and make these great studies merge into one, and make them easy for everyone to find.

Nutcracker 030

Nutcracker 028Nutcracker 029

Here is a lovely rendition of the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy for your enjoyment.

If your budding ballerina would like to choreograph her own Nutcracker, print out these lovely puppets for her to color and glue to popsicle sticks and she’ll be in business!

Nutcracker 031

If you’d like to see photos of Olivia and Lindsey in various past roles in the Nutcracker, visit this post…and this one too.

Books we used:

The Story of the Nutcracker; E.T.A. Hoffman
Eyewitness Classics, The Nutcracker; by DK Publishing
The Nutcracker – A Young Readers Edition; adapted by Don Daily
Ballet; by Kate Castle
Looking at Paintings of Dancers; by Peggy Roalf
To Dance To Dream; by Maxine Drury
The Kingfisher Treasury of Ballet Stories; collected by Caroline Plaisted
The Ultimate Ballet Sticker Book; by DK Publishing

Happy homeschooling holidays!!

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. My girls love the Ballet. This is great! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Neat Unit Study! I am finishing up a Christmas inspired mini unit study at the moment. I created it myself; it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I just checked out some books at the library and recorded some movies on my DVR for the kids to watch. I also created a Christmas word list using Spelling city. Besides that I just printed off some Math sheets & of course lots of fun crafts ;)
    I really enjoyed reading about your Unit Study. Thank you for sharing, I might try this next year.

    Happy Holidays,
    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! Thanks so much. I'm going to save this for next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!