Pages

Friday, June 15, 2018

Weekly Wrap Up -Family Fun

This weekend we had some family fun.  We went to a new to us mini-golf course that was very nice.   There was an issue on the very first hole, with the VERY inappropriate music (for lack of another word) that was being played by the two teens who worked there, so I had to go be "that" Mom who asked them to turn it off or refund our money...yes, it was THAT bad.   Once we got past that awkward situation, we had a great time.   The parents who arrived after us, with even younger kids, have no idea the awkward conversation I saved them from.

Then we left and went to a local park on the river.   I wanted to see what the flooding had done in the area.    This first photo was just cool to me.  That is a full grown tree just chilling there at the dam.   The sound from the water going over the dam was louder than I've ever heard it at this particular location.


We also stumbled across a photo session for a Quinceañera celebration.  The young lady in the red was stunning, but I couldn't get a good, up close photo.
Later stopped by a local war museum so the history lover could get her weekly fix of World War I and World War II.   The younger sibling wasn't a fan of this part of our weekend.
 
 
 
Saturday we went to the $3 movie theater in town.  I'm loving this inexpensive opportunity to get to see movies, even if it is a few months after their release!   We grabbed lunch, then headed to our downtown area for a Victorian Evening celebration (it went from 2pm-9pm).   This was so much fun, and Lindsey is planning to make dresses for her and Olivia for next year.  There was all kinds of period activities like dancing, high tea, a can fighting demonstration, etiquette classes and a beard and mustache competition to name just a few.




Olivia and Lindsey got to learn some of the period dances, and they had so much fun.   The older gentleman who was Lindsey's partner came over after wards complementing on how graceful she is and how quickly she learned the steps.     Such a fun day!!!

Lindsey worked two days a the museum this week.   They are in the middle of their summer camp programs, so she got to work with kids most of the day, and she LOVES working with kids.   She was also contacted this week about working another event for kids next week.  Her reputation as being great with kids is apparently getting around.

Olivia has been working hard on wrapping up her sophomore year.   This week she completed Algebra 2 (hallelujah!), and got a perfect score on her statistics chapter.   She's doubled up on biology and will be finishing that up next week.

We're also in preparation mode here.   The girls leave for youth camp June 25-29, then Olivia and I leave for Haiti July 3-11.   Sunblock, bug spray and snacks are everywhere waiting to be packed!

Around the web this week, I've shared my review of the book Parents Rising - 8 Strategies for Raising Kids Who Love God, and also Be the Mom over at Homeschooling With Heart.   This will be my last guest article there, as I'm beginning to purge off all the extra, time consuming things I've added to my plate.

I hope you've had a great week!   Be sure to pop over and check out this weeks edition of the Weekly Wrap Up.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That Haiti trip is getting so close. Sounds like a super fun weekend; I love the period costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun week! I've never seen anyone out getting pictures or anything for a quinceanara around here, yet I know there are families celebrating it. Love the Victorian costumes too! Thanks for linking up and I hope the biology gets finished and all the prep for your trip goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a large Hispanic/Latino population in the little town we were visiting, but it was a first for us to see as well.

      Delete
  3. Wow! How much fun! I love the Quinceañera pic. That looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really neat to watch. She was lovely!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!