Pages

Friday, June 1, 2018

Weekly Wrap Up - Hello June

You know, I've been blogging for 10 years.   So much has changed over those years, both with our family, our homeschooling and the gosh darn regulations that keep getting added by the powers that be.  I hate it when something you truly enjoy gets turned into a burden by others, sigh.   Having said all that, I'm really going to be rethinking this whole thing over the next few months.   I just don't know that I want to keep doing all the hoop jumping that's required.

Monday of course was a holiday.   Lindsey worked all day at the museum and since my husband was off work, we all went over to drop Lindsey off, and then we walked around and enjoyed the early morning before the heat and humidity set in.   We're hosting a flat person from Kansas for a few months, so you'll see her in most of these photos.

The first photo is the blacksmith shop in the Irish forge.   The blacksmith has the best disposition and is very good at explaining what he's doing as he's working.
This is the tinsmith from the new world side of the museum.  He does not have the best disposition, grins....but is very knowledgeable.
Here's Olivia and our flat person on the porch of the 1850's farm where Lindsey works.
Here's our little worker bee, working on a quilting project inside the house.  She was way too proper to hold such a modern little flat person...snark.


Tuesday- was school as usual.   Olivia is putting in long hours getting her biology and algebra 2 knocked out.  She only has 3 more chapters in biology and 2 in algebra so we're looking at at a finish date of June 22 for her.   Lindsey will be finishing up her pre-algebra next week.

Wednesday was pretty typical too.  Lindsey doubled up on school work today so she can be at the museum tomorrow. The only noteworthy thing is we're still getting lots of rain, and overnight Wednesday was terrible.  Some local areas got 5 inches in an hour, but the storm seemed to stall out and some areas got 10 inches of rain over night.   Thankfully we're in an area not prone to flooding.

Thursday Lindsey was back at the museum.   Olivia and I had chiropractor appointments at 9, then we went grocery shopping.   She jumped right back into her schoolwork when we got home.   Can't you see the enthusiasm?
Friday (today) no co-op, hallelujah!!   It's national donut day, so we're heading out to a new donut shop to give them a try, then swinging by the library to sign up for the summer reading program.   Once we've done that, it's back home to finish up lessons for the week.

How was your week, anything super exciting going on?



Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Are you speaking of rethinking homeschooling or blogging?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rethinking blogging. Homeschooling is non-negotiable!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that you've got increasing amounts of hoop jumping to deal with that it's become a real burden. I was so lucky to have very minimal bureaucracynto deal with. One application for each child (mine were less that 3 pages each) and then signing a form once every six months. At one stage we could be visited and assessed and we were once but then they did away with that unless they received complaints about a family etc. I was so glad that assessments had gone by the time my oldest hit a wall with maths when he was 13ish. It gave me the ability to follow my gut - simply to do no math entirely for six months or so - without fear of being found out and having to justify myself. When we picked it up again he was right back on top of things so my gut was right - but I was very aware that a bureaucrat may not have looked favourably on my no-math approach while it lasted so I sympathize with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant I'm rethinking the blogging, not the homeschooling. I didn't make that very clear.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you about hoop-jumping! I'm so not a fan of it. :(

    I hope you find a happy place in spite of it.

    I like your flat person. What fun adventures she's having!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that I hadn't seen comments for a long time, and apparently those were blocked with this new hoopla. Finally found 6 weeks worth of comments and am trying to reply to all...sigh.

      Delete
  4. That's about as much enthusiasm as I'm seeing from my daughter lately as well. LOL It does look like you had a lot of fun with your flat guest though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least it's not just my kid who is lacking in enthusiasm!

      Delete
  5. We had so much fun hosting and sending out flat stanley when the kids were little. Looks like a great start to summer.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did a flat person too when our girls were little and we had so much fun with it!

      Delete
  6. I too thought about packing it all in but realized that (so far) most of the new regulations don't apply to me. Regulations in Europe don't apply to US no matter what the EU says. I decided I will keep at it for now just because I do enjoy it and I will continue to treat it as a hobby and not as a job so that if new regs are put in place that make it seem stressful and difficult I can quit without too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. I just keep plugging along and trying to figure it out as I go...

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!