Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Georgia Week 2

As I said before, I'm trying to move through the States a bit quicker. This was our second week on Georgia, and I think we're done for now. The girls are in love with the Chattahoochee River, just because it's fun to say.

Our greatest focus this week was on famous Georgians. We went with Martin Luther King, Jr. and Eli Whitney (ok, technically he wasn't a Georgina by birth but he was in Georgia when he invented the cotton gin.)

I never realized that Dr. King was killed 2 days after I was born. My girls simply can not grasp the concept that people would dislike someone because of their skin color. To learn that Mr. King was murdered was very disturbing for my kids, especially to know that it was because of color. Olivia sat and pondered for a long time, and then she said "Mom, that's just wrong...even the song says 'red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight". Yes, dear daughter, we are all precious in His sight; if only everyone could see things from Olivia and God's perspective.

We found a lot of information from our encyclopedia's and the internet, so we only used two books from the library.

Books we used:

A Picture Book of Martin Luther King, Jr. by David A. Adler
Eli Whitney American Inventor by Katie Bagley

Our core subjects are going well. Lindsey is reading much better this week and her issues with number recognition seems to have resolved itself. I've been giving Olivia more creative writing assignments, just to have her think on her own more, so she doesn't always "need" a worksheet for guidance.

Olivia finished her WingRunner book at Awana this week. We'll start over again for review until the end of the year. Last year we completed her book twice, but this year I don't know that I can get her back through it all the way a second time. Her difficulties with getting to recite early in the year put us further behind than I'd realized. Lindsey 's class is doing two verses this week to help get caught up from all the snow cancellation days.

At ballet, Lindsey is starting to practice her routine for the recital already. Olivia will compete in her first performance awards competition in March, so she's focusing on those particular routines until March 27.

It was pizza day at Co-op so my husband came and hand lunch with us. The girls really miss seeing their Dad on Friday's, so it's especially nice for them to get to have lunch with him (and the pizza doesn't hurt either).

I've spent some time this week working on our curriculum choices for the new year. I'm not finished yet, so I'll wait a while before giving you a run down.

I've also spent a lot of time weighing the options of what extra activities to be involved in. Olivia is showing an interest in piano, so I'm looking into both the monetary and time commitment. I'm also trying to find out about local 4-H groups. Olivia has her heart set on being a veterinarian, so I thought that 4-H would help feed the knowledge base on animals...just waiting for folks to call me back.

That's about all I've managed to accomplish this week. Check out this weeks Weekly Wrap Up to see how everyone else has done.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!