Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

Weekly Wrap Up–The Almost Spring One

The weather has been back to “normal” this week.  Temperatures have still been a bit brisk, but it’s been sunny and breezy (typical March in Virginia).  I noticed  that my yellow crocuses have bloomed and my tulips are starting to pop through the ground as well.  On our walks this week, Olivia and I noticed that the swans in the park are building a new nest.  I’ll have to remember to start taking the camera with us on our outings.

Lindsey has turned into a voracious reader.  She’s gone through 4 of the American Girl chapter books this week.  She enjoys are the stories, but Felicity still remains her favorite character.

Olivia started working with various graphs (bar, line, picto) and decimals in math this week.  The graphs were all things she’s been exposed to before, but this was her first time with decimals.  So far, so good.   Lindsey is moving further along in her multiplication tables.   Interestingly enough she has memorized those FAR quicker than the addition facts.  Go figure.

Language arts has Olivia up to her eyeballs with sentence diagramming.  She really enjoys the diagramming, I personally hated it as a student.  I must say though, as I’m teaching her the why’s and how’s, its making a lot more sense to me and I finally understand it.  I still don’t LIKE it, but I understand it.

Friday was co-op again.  I ended up being a substitute teacher for the high school photo journalism class.  This was a really fun and creative group of teens.  I truly enjoyed being with these kids!  My husband was the substitute teacher in Lindsey’s P.E. class, and she was in heaven having him there with her.

Friday night my older brother came by and we watched Wild Kingdom movies and then played a couple of hours of Yahtzee Hands Down.  We received this card game for Christmas and we all love it.   My highly competitive brother (it runs in our family, ahem) was stunned to have been beaten so badly by Lindsey.  As he left he muttered something about “My gosh, I can’t even beat a 7 year old.”  Lindsey is phenomenal with card games.

YAHTZEE HANDS DOWN Card Game

Ballet and tap are gearing up for the Performance Awards and a Broadway Show in April.  The girls are working diligently on their dances.  I’m really excited about the Broadway Show, as it’ll be the first time the girls have been in a tap dance in a performance.  They are “Newsies” as seen in this clip, but not quite as involved.

Lindsey had her last basketball game this week.  The final game and banquet are Saturday.  I’m really surprised at how well she likes basketball.  Being the shortest one in the league wasn’t easy, but she played a great season.   That’s her, to the right of  the goal…..she how short she is compared to the others?

008

I’m finding it harder to stay on task now as the weather gets nicer.  I’m trying to see what things I can purge from our calendar in order to be able to get outside and work in the gardens together preparing to garden.

There is a quick look at our week.  I hope you had a great week!

Linking up with the Weekly Wrap Up and the Homeschool Review.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. My daughter loves those American Girl books too! Since she has mastered the art of reading, she has also been reading up a storm. In fact, just last week, she finished reading the Bible! It is a comic style version, I bought, called the Action Bible. You can buy it in stores like Wal-Mart for like $20. She really enjoyed it and it is just as informative as a reg. Bible IMO. It has like 750 pages.
    Anyways, just wanted to say that I love your blog and please feel free to come by and see mine one day ;)
    http://homeschoolmom82.blogspot.com/

    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree that purging the calendar for garden activities is a great idea. I am all for it and practicing it as we speak. Thanks for linking up to HammockTracks and I look forward to seeing what you did this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!