Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

10 Years Later

Ten years ago today I lay in a hospital bed after suffering through almost 72 hours of a botched induction.  The last five of those hours were spent in hard labor, with no epidural.  Yes pushing for 5 hours.   The doctor informed us that Olivia was stuck, and that no matter what he did, he would “damage” her.  So he wanted to “wait and see”.

My wonderful Christian nurse was called out to go into an emergency c-section with another woman.  God instantly prompted me to start praying for the other mother and child, and so I lay there praying out loud for this stranger.  My new nurse scolded me “You need to worry about yourself and your baby, you’re in trouble.”  Yet I knew, that this other woman, whom I had never met, was going into surgery to save her child and she needed prayers.   Between contractions, and through clinched teeth I prayed for that woman and baby from the very depths of my being.

Suddenly something changed.  Whatever obstacle had been in the way had moved and the doctor announced “we’re about to have a baby”.   After just a few minutes of obedient prayer for a stranger, Olivia had popped loose and was entering the world.  Then just as quickly the doctor said “whatever you do, DON’T PUSH!”   The cord had wrapped tightly around Olivia’s neck, not once, but twice.  She was blue and silent when she arrived.  

Then God Himself breathed life into her and she began to wail.  Goodness how she wailed.  For the first 6 weeks of her life she did nothing but wail.  At one point I looked at my husband and said “I can’t do this the rest of my life.” 

Today Olivia turned 10.  She’s quiet, and thoughtful.  I can’t imagine what life would be like without her.  I barely remember what it was like before she was born.  She’s taught me a lot of things in these 10 years, far more than I’ve taught her.   She is my hardest fought battle, she is my greatest victory.

021

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Praise God! I know what you mean when you say you felt you couldn't do that for the rest of your life, with the new baby. I think every new mom at some point or another feels that way. This makes me think of how so many people ascribe to the thought that if something is hard, it must not be the thing to do. But you had a life to bring into this world and to raise, there was no giving up or turning back at least. And you did it! Today, you have a vibrant, beautiful, thoughtful young lady. Thank you for sharing that sometimes we just need to get our minds off of ourselves and somehow be a blessing to someone else.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!