Pages

Friday, February 2, 2018

Weekly Wrap Up - Hello February

This past Friday night, Olivia finally got the opportunity to be a starting player for her basketball team.  It was a really good game, she made several points and had a few really good assists.   She shot a 3-pointer that rolled the rim twice and then rolled off while we all held our breath.    She ended up playing most of the game and she was so excited.   Her team won 30-8.
Saturday the husband and I had a meeting at church all day.   Both girls worked in the rec-league sports concession stand from 8:30-3:30 earning money for their summer camp/missions trip.   It was a long, but good day.  We came home and watched The Giver to see how it compared to the book.   I hate it when movies veer far off course from the book and that's how this one was.   Had we not read the book first we'd have enjoyed it, but we were all too busy saying "that's not how it goes".

Sunday after church we all just chilled.   Tom and Lindsey went to the YMCA to swim, Olivia stayed home to rest and I spent the afternoon reading.   It was lovely.

Monday started out with a long drive to take a family member for medical testing procedures.  We left home at 7am, I was finally home around 2:30pm.   Thankfully the girls are able to stay home and knock out their academics without me, so that's what they did.   We had a quick dinner thane out the door again to take Olivia to a basketball practice that ran from 5:30-7:30pm.

Tuesday morning we awoke to a slight dusting of snow.  it was pretty and not enough to mess up the public school schedules (or at least I think they still went).   Olivia had a short school day, I had to have her to the private school by 2pm to catch the bus for her basketball game.   It was a two hour drive by bus, and with stopping for dinner they didn't get back home until 9:30pm.   They won 54-24.

Wednesday was a typical school day with church in the evening.  Nothing overly exciting here.

Thursday I had my monthly lunch date with my gal pal.  We tried a Vietnamese Pho (pronounced "fuh") restaurant.   We had a child size bowl of pho, split an order of spring rolls and split a pickled vegetable/brisket sandwich.  It was ok, definitely not a "oh I can't wait to go there again" place, but it was good to try something new.   The girls worked did their lessons while I was gone and I checked/graded everything when I got home.   We had a quick dinner when the husband got home then we were off to basketball.   This was a much tighter game, against a team that has a reputation for being a little rough and nasty (yes, Christian schools get those reputations, and rightly so in this case).   You know it's bad when the referee's start to cock his head to the side and say "Really?" on the blatant fouls.   Anywho, once our girls adjusted and started to push back the tide changed and they were able to surge ahead to a 37-23 win.   This takes the team to a 6-3 season so far.

Friday (today) is co-op.  We were supposed to have a pizza party after classes, but the weather forecast here was for freezing rain and ice overnight.  We had to made a decision on Thursday as to whether to postpone or not, and we erred on the side of caution and pushed it out another week.  Of course I awoke this morning to blue skies and not a speck of ice in sight...so we'll have some not happy students this afternoon.


Around the web this week I shared about Choosing The Best over at Homeschooling with Heart.   I just need to make myself heed my own advice and say no more often.

I hope you've all had a great week.  It's hard to believe we're in February already!

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. What a productive week. Isn't lovely when they can stay home on their own?
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did get enough snow on Tuesday for schools up here to cancel and woke to enough ice and snow today that it appears they didn't have school today either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great week with all the sports fun! Sorry about the cancellation today though. Our co-op has had to make some tough calls with weather cancellations too, and it's just frustrating to try and guess how accurate the forecast is and how bad the roads will actually be. Anyway - thanks for sharing on Homeschool Highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like it when movies veer too far from the book either. I know I should treat them as entirely separate things...but I can't seem to manage it. Olivia must be pleased with the way basketball is going. Wins over "dirty" teams can often feel that little bit more satisfying. Hope the rest of the season goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!