Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

2019 - Upcoming Changes

Happy New Year!!!  

The title sounds ominous, like there's something bad in the works.  Don't worry, it's all good.   2019 is going to be the best year yet, and I hope you enjoy reading about our academic journey this year.

The biggest change you'll see is that I won't be doing product reviews for the Homeschool Review Crew.  We've been doing reviews for them for years, and I've been able to learn about lots of new products, and have been able to point others to products they needed.  However, this past year I've been getting more and more reviews that I said we didn't want/need and few of the ones that we requested as being beneficial to where we are.  While I love reviewing, the whole purpose for me was to be able to review items that would help my girls academically.  Instead, we were reviewing things that truthfully cost the girls, especially when we were being given several math programs back to back or overlapping.    And truthfully, I don't like getting in "trouble" from the powers that be for writing an honest review that doesn't gush over a product that I feel is a total misrepresentation.  If I've ever said I like a product, I do....and if I don't like a product, I let my readers know that.  It's called integrity folks.

Another big change is already in place, my readers just don't know about it yet.   In September I made the mental switch to get my weight problem dealt with.    I went to a mostly Keto lifestyle, and have lost over 40 pounds.  I haven't mentioned it on my blog up until now, but my plan is to start sharing some recipes and updates on my progress.

Academically, we'll finish out the year with the Curriculum Picks that we started off with.  However, after visiting colleges and listening to Olivia more, I'm seeing that I need to make some overall changes for her.   I truly don't think she'd be happy or satisfied in college (at least not right away).   She'll be working as an apprentice on a working cattle and horse farm.   This will allow her to get vast amounts of hands on knowledge, as well as work with several older folks who can share the wealth of knowledge they've amassed over the years.   I'm not sure how this whole thing will play out, but I know that for the first time in a long time, she's excited about learning again, not just choking on facts and books.
I will continue to do my Weekly Wrap Up, and hopefully even get some creative posts up.   Now that then kids are teens we do less crafty things, but I need to come up with some better hands on things to make the learning more fun, and the reading of the week less boring.

 Here's to a wonderful year for us all!
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. What a great opportunity for your daughter. Congrats on the weight loss. I am considering how to control my weight too. It isn't a huge problem now which is why I need to deal with it now.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, deal with it early. Don't wait until there's a lot to lose!!

      Delete
  2. I'm anxious to read how it works out for your daughter; my son has 3 years left of high school but is pretty adamant that he wants nothing to do with college. Congrats on the weight loss! That's fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!