Pages

Friday, March 1, 2019

Weekly Wrap Up - Hello March

I sat down over the weekend and worked on lesson plans.  We're quickly wrapping up this academic year.  If everything goes accordingly, we should be finished all lessons by mid April.   I'm in research mode now as I look at items for the upcoming year.    I'm really looking closely at the Good and Beautiful Language Arts for Lindsey....anyone have any input??   Along those lines, if you're shopping for things already, check out my post Curriculum For Sale, you might find something you need at a great price!
Our church hosts a HUGE consignment sale twice a year.   This event turns our gym into a children's boutique of over 10,000 items in less than 48 hours.  Both the girls provide childcare for the worker's during the set up, sale and tear down process...so they've been gone a lot this week, starting last Sunday, and have padded their pockets with extra cash for the summer.

Monday's school work went well. Olivia doubled up on some subjects in anticipation of being at the farm later in the week.   In the evening the girls had archery, but Lindsey missed class since it was her day to provide child care at the sale...money talks, even at her age.

Tuesday Olivia worked at the farm from 9:30am until 4pm.  Lindsey knocked out her school work early, and then worked ahead to free up her time later in the week when she's babysitting again.   Olivia came home exhausted, but finished her geometry before dinner.  We finished up the Unit 6 Spanish LifePac and are seeing light at the end of the tunnel for Spanish.

Wednesday I had my monthly lunch with my pal Yvette.  We try to hit new restaurants, but we're running out of new options so we did a repeat visit to the Thai place, yum!!    I fixed dinner for the family when I got home, but didn't eat anything.  This whole weight loss thing has gotten much easier, I don't feel I have to eat just because it's "dinner time", and I'm rarely ever hungry.   Church wrapped up our evening.s

Thursday I dropped off some used curriculum to a buyer and ran a few quick errands.  The girls worked on their academics and then Lindsey was off to babysit for 7 hours.   Snow and ice were in our overnight forecast.

Friday was just gray and rainy and drab.   Lindsey had to babysit all day, so she and I were out the door early.  I dropped her off and went to get groceries, totally forgetting that it was the first of the month, and the store was crazy busy.   Once done, I came home and graded the rest of the school work for the week.  It looks like Olivia may finish geometry this year with a B, which is HUGE!!

We've been researching colleges, trade schools and various programs.   I've got a couple of college visits scheduled, and have one or two more in the works.    The weekend will be spent (by me) researching curriculum and colleges, the girls will be babysitting...busy, busy, busy.

Are you in search mode for the upcoming year, or do you already know what you're doing for curriculum?


Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I'm turning to planning this week too... I have a few ideas and things I KNOW we will definitely be covering but there are a few areas (mainly science!) where I'm floundering still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science is my least favorite of all subjects to teach and to pick products for.

      Delete
  2. We are mostly planned and purchased for next year.
    What are you wondering about for TGTB language arts? What grade will she technically be? Have you had her take the placement test? I'm happy to chat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll be starting high school next year. I know this is your first year using it, is it as academically sound/strong as what you've used in the past? I know it incorporates geography, but would adding a full year geography be too much?

      Delete
    2. I really like it because it has so many things included (grammar, writing, reading, geography, poetry, latin/greek roots, spelling/sentence dictation, art). The geography is a mix of learning about places/peoples, mapwork, and geography cards to memorize - it sounds a lot more involved than it is. I would say level 1 is a 1/2 credit for geography. Yes, you could add to it for sure if you want to end up with a whole credit. Or you can do TGTB's Language Arts two years in a row and each half credit will add up to a whole course in total.
      The reading is good. There is a reading challenge they pick a few books from in addition to the assigned books and we chose to have Makayla pick from any classics or books she was interested for that part instead. The writing includes essays, shorter responses to the insight questions related to the book readings/poets/artists. She had a powerpoint type project for one big writing assignment, good to get her trying different things (and she was assigned to share the completed project with a couple people). The grammar is good too, they teach specific things, then practice those, and diagram sentences. The next unit will teach more grammar related things, practice, and diagram more. Have you downloaded the sample? They are pretty generous with the number of pages in the sample to explore.

      Delete
  3. I probably won't be planning until May this year. Such is life. What a productive week. How exciting to be done by Mid-April. That will not be us this year.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure how we're getting done so early. I think Spanish may take longer than anything, so that may go through May or even later.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by!