Pages

Monday, April 20, 2020

Turnip Greens (Recipe)

The school food program gave us a small bag of fresh turnips this past week.  I have never cooked turnips, but thought this would be a great time to start (free is good).   These were young turnips so they had a really light flavor and weren't tough either.
Cut the greens off of your turnips and remove as much of the stem as you want, but you can cook and eat the stems too, they are just a bit tougher.  Wash your greens in a little bit of water and apple cider vinegar.  I let mine soak while I washed, peeled and cubed the turnips.

I can't give you specific amounts on this "recipe".  It depends really on how many turnips and greens you have.  Of course, I'm from the south so I do the "little of this, little of that" until I get it right method of cooking.

Place all your ingredients in a heavy stock pot and allow to simmer for 30-60 minutes. It doesn't look very appealing at this stage.
Turnip Greens Recipe:

Ham or smoked turkey 
water
turnip greens
turnips - peeled and diced
onion - chopped
garlic - 3-4 cloves
red pepper flakes
apple cider vinegar
tablespoon of brown sugar
salt/pepper to taste

Allow your greens to cook down until the onion and turnips are fork tender and the juice has cooked down.  I served the greens with pan fried cubed pork steaks and mashed potatoes.

Have you tried any new recipes or new foods during the lock down?




Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!