Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Weekly Wrap Up–The One With a Mini-Conference

We officially started back to all of our extra curricular activities this week.  Ballet, Awana and co-op all restarted, and then we added basketball and cheerleading just to make the schedule a bit more full (she says with a tone).  

I changed our Bible studies this week.  Instead of using a curriculum I just, well, you know….taught from the Bible (shocking I know).   We focused our time this week on Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.”  (KJV)    I taught the girls on the meaning of Christ (it’s NOT Jesus’ last name ya’ll).  In case you don’t know, Christ means the anointed one and/or His anointing.  We then went on to look deeper to see what anointing is, and it means the burden removing, yoke destroying power of God.   I explained how a burden is something heavy that you carry, and the yoke is what keeps you hooked to it, and how that in order to be free you not only have to get rid of the burden, but destroy the yoke too, through God’s Word.   Lindsey was quick to point out that it was like “the guy in Pilgrim’s Progress, he had a burden”.  We also discussed what types of burdens people could have, and how to apply God’s Word to that issue.

Olivia finished up the unit on graphing and statistics in math and is now working on fractions.   Lindsey is working with money and counting back change.

Those are the highlights of our academic week.   Friday of course was co-op and I rushed home, dropped the kids off and drove to another nearby city to attend a mini-conference with Shelley Hendry from His Image Ministries.  (The website is a bit out of date, but the section Popular Handouts is AWESOME!)

Shelley performed a wonderful living history presentation on Corrie Ten Boom on Friday evening.   She was so believable and authentic, simply amazing!  She also shared her heart about the importance of reading about the lives of Christian heroes of the faith.

Saturday mornings sessions dealt with “Life Gifts of a Mother’s Heart”.   The best quote from this weekend was “Your soul is the school room of your children.” Wow, how heavy of a responsibility is that? The things that are on the inside of you are what they learn the most from. We need to take the time to tend to our own spirit and soul in order to be the mother/teacher our kids need.

I was disappointed to see that there were only a handful of us in attendance, and at 46, I was the youngest mom there.  Young moms, you NEED to take advantage of these opportunities to learn from older Christian moms and homeschoolers.

How was your week?

Linking up with the Weekly Wrap Up.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I guess I'm fast becoming one of the "older Christian moms"! ;-) I love the quote about the soul being the school room of our children.

    Visiting from the Weekly Wrap-up and hoping the coming week will be a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Kym, I'm right there with you, it never dawned on me that I was one of the "older moms"....the fact that my youngest is 3rd grade puts me around the "young moms" alot, but I can tell there is a vast difference. Just never thought of myself as "older" until now! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. we just added a few new things to our schedule this week -- I so get the tone!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!