Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

5 Days of Homeschool 101 - Home Management

 

Home management is today's topic at 5 Days of Homeschool 101.   In some ways this may look a bit similar to my planning post, especially because I use my planner to also manage my home.   (See I told you my planning issue is serious, grins.)

In addition to my planner (above), I also have a system.  Monday, Wednesday and Friday are gym days, we're there by 8am.   Monday and Thursday are also laundry days, so I know to put a load in the washer first thing in the morning and then continue swapping loads throughout the school day until done.  Oh and yeah, our laundry baskets are color coded, it makes sorting so much easier.

During the school year, the girls have a writing class on Friday afternoon.  I drop them off and then hit the grocery store.   I find it's a lot quicker, and cheaper to shop alone.   To make shopping more efficient, I keep a shopping list note pad on the fridge.  I keep at least 1 extra of commonly used items in storage.  Each person is supposed to add to the list when they take the last of any given item, sometimes they forget...they are not amused when they run out of deodorant or toothpaste...so they've all gotten better about using the list, ahem.   I also try to loosely plan menus based on what's on sale, and already in the freezer/pantry.   However, when I find a good deal I sometimes veer off course.

Speaking of meals, I use the crockpot a great deal.  Mid morning is when I usually load up the crockpot with potatoes for baking (wrapped in aluminum foil), or a inexpensive but tough piece of meat that will be tender and delicious for dinner.   Chili, stews and a variety of beans are also crockpot favorites. 

I'm one of the few people who still writes out checks to pay bills.  When bills arrive, I write the due date on the outside of the envelope, and then stick the whole thing in my checkbook, in chronological order.  To allow for delivery delays, I typically try to mail payments out 10 days ahead of time.  On Friday, when my husband gets paid, I sit down and write out our tithe check, then see what's coming due within the next 10 days and pay those bills accordingly.

As you can see, routine is a big thing in our house.   I find that it's much easier for me to manage things if I have a general rhythm to my week.   If you're a fly by the seat of your pants gal, more power to you.   There is no "right" or "wrong"....unless what you're doing just isn't working, then it's time to change your approach.




Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. We've got potatoes in the slow cooker right now for tonight's meal. I also love routines and planners!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!