Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Just Breathe


I sat in the exam room, waiting patiently for the doctor to return with the results of my EKG. I reflected on the long night that I’d just endured. It’s amazing how something so natural like, oh say, breathing for example, can suddenly without warning become such a struggle.   The air seemed to have turned thick and heavy and only entered the very tops of my lungs as I’d gasped for each breath.

My thoughts were interrupted by the doctor’s return. She seemed a bit surprised to find that my heart was indeed fine. As they set up a breathing treatment to open my airways and provide relief, she asked “Have you had any major life changes or family issues lately?” Um…nothing outside normal life.   She asked for the “Reader’s Digest Condensed Version” of where I am in life, her eyes were ever widening as I spoke.

I sat and puffed on my little peace pipe looking inhaler as she went on to tell me about the dangers of stress.   She seems to think that I may need a break.   The irony being that this all started as I was sitting down, taking a break and relaxing.   She somehow missed the whole part about the itchy eyes, throat, and ears that to me seemed to have pointed to an allergic reaction of some type, but then again, I didn’t graduate from medical school, ahem.

I returned home with a couple of prescriptions and a “slow down” pep talk.   I truly do understand where she’s coming from.   However, I also know that I’m not going to be one of those people who just sits down on the sidelines and watches the game of life pass by.

Life is full of “what if” moments. Some people let those what if’s stop them in their tracks. However, I look at life a bit differently I guess.   What if I live my life to the fullest, impacting my family and friends and the world as much as I can?

Regret and what if run hand in hand. Do the “what if’s” of life stop you, or propel you forward?   It’s your choice. But regardless of which choice you make, remember to breathe! Breathe in the sights, sounds, smells, and relationships around you.

When all else fails, just breathe!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by!