Pages

Friday, October 6, 2017

Weekly Wrap Up - Fall Returns

The weather has finally caught up to the calendar here and fall has arrived!   The temperatures are dipping very low at night, the days are crisp and cool and now the leaves are starting to change.  Thankfully this all happened prior to our pumpkin patch trip, so it was very enjoyable!  There were pumpkins and gourds as far as the eye can see, and look at the mountains and sky!

Lindsey has been taking a sewing class through 4H for the last few months.   She's make a pillow, cinch sack and a couple of head bands in class.   This week she realized one of her pajama bottoms needed mending and she asked me if I could fix it, then she said "Wait, I know how to do this now".

She's been quite the little hands on person this week.   She created a salt dough model of a flower for her botany class.   The stem was a bit on the chunky side, but she still had fun making it.
In my co-op botany class, I assigned all the kids the task of  growing and monitoring seedlings for the next couple of weeks so that they can get a better understanding of the various stages of plant development.   I gave each student a bean seed and two variations of corn to grow.   We started last week and discussed some of the happenings this week
 
This is a great hands on project for all ages.  Simply fold up a paper towel so that it fits inside a Ziploc bag, add a row of staples across the bad 2 or so inches from the bottom, drop the seeds on the staples, and add water below the staple line. Close the bag and tape it to a window that gets direct sunlight.  You should start to notice changes within the first 24 hours or so.
Do you find it's harder to find hands on projects for the middle school/high school age? 

Linking up with the Weekly Wrap Up.

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I do find it hard to find good projects for the older grades! It's definitely harder for me the older they get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to your question. But as compensation, I find that they are motivated to find their own activities to enjoy. I have to do less work finding and more work providing supplies in a timely manner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do find it harder to find hands on projects. I love this one and plan to steal it ~ LOL.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look like great projects! And yes, I did find it more difficult to find hands-on projects as my kids got older. The projects took more work and preparation and supplies. Thanks for linking up with Homeschool Highlights!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!