Pages

Monday, December 30, 2019

Planning for the New Year

I'm a planner by nature. I can be spontaneous, but I prefer to at least have a bit of a framework as a guide.    I keep a family planner on my desk.  I prefer the Amy Knapp planner, because it has a convenient place for my daily menu and a place for my shopping list, all detachable. As you can see in the photo below, it's spiral bound and I can open it up flat for a 2 page look, but typically have it open to the dated side, and it has a POCKET in the front!!! I also keep an updated pocket calendar with important appointments on it in my purse so I can schedule appointments while out without double booking.   I find, that when I write things down they are FAR more likely to happen than if it's just on my mental checklist.  Here's how I planned the upcoming year.
I sat down with a little notebook and jotted down the big things I want to get done in 2020.  Most of the items on this list are things that will be done as time permits, but not necessarily assigned a certain date.  Some of the items on that list are include painting the front doors and shutters, purge the children's books from years gone by, take a group painting class and go to a live performance at one of the local theaters, to name a few.  I pick a general month for some of those items, for example painting the doors/shutters will most likely happen in March/April after it warms up, but before it gets too hot since that side of the house gets the full afternoon sun.

Next, I looked at things I'd want to do on a monthly basis.  This list will sound odd to some, but it includes visiting my brother, the in-laws and my best friend, and lunch with my other best friend.   I noticed this year that it doesn't take long for the weeks to turn into months and suddenly you've gone a long time without seeing the people who matter because of the busy-ness of life.   Texting and email are great, but face to face time over a cup of coffee is better, even if it's only a short visit.  

Then I looked at things I need to get done on a weekly basis and made another list.  Some of those are pretty routine, like menu planning and grocery shopping.   Then there are things like weight loss check in and painting my nails.  I used to get my nails done at a salon every payday, back in the day.  That's not in my budget at the moment, but I can still paint my own nails on the weekend, right?  But if I don't write it down, it'll fall to the side while I take care of the things that have to be done.

Lastly, I looked at the daily tasks that need to get done.  Bible study, prayer, exercise and intermittent fasting are all on this list.   It's the daily tasks that create habits, habits create the right scenarios and preparation time.  

With my handy-dandy list in place.  I then took out my new journal and began to transfer the information in a tidy and concise manner.   I added a page for January and listed out my tasks for the month, followed by pages for each week, again with each task.   I love to check things off my list, so writing these "trivial" things down keeps me focused and ensures that they get done as the list gets checked off.   Call me OCD, but that's how I roll.
So there you have it, my 2020 attempt to keep myself in line.  Are you a planner like me, a fly by the seat of your pants gal, or somewhere in the middle of the road?

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I think that's great! It is very true that time flies by without realizing how fast and if I don't make it a point to spend time with family and friends long stretches of time can go by without noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josette - this is a great article. I don't think I could live without my planners and calendars. And yes - I definitely plan for visits with my friends and my mom. Those visits are what keeps me sane!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!