Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Ham Pot Pie (Recipe)

Under normal conditions, churches in our area do meal type fund raisers. Sometimes it's Brunswick stew, spaghetti suppers or just simple fried country ham sandwiches.   My in-laws church used to do a "ham pot pie" sale.  To me this was a misnomer, because pot pie should be pie shaped with a top and bottom crust and a hearty meat/veggie filling.  What they considered to be pot pie was more of a ham/potato stew with flat noodles/dumplings.
We had some Easter ham left over, and the husband had made a comment one day about ham pot pie, so I figured I'd give it a go.  It didn't dawn on me while I was making this dish to take photos, my apologies.  I shall endeavor to walk you through it though.   As you'll see by the recipe, it's pretty subjective, based on what you have on hand, and how much you have.

Recipe:
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/4 - 1/2 cup butter
8-10 cups of water
1-3 pounds of cooked ham
2-3 cans of potatoes or 2-3 cups of fresh potatoes.
salt & pepper to taste

4 cups all purpose flour
4 Tbspoon solid vegetable shortening
1 1/3 cups water

In a large pot melt the butter and saute your onions and garlic until transparent.   Chunk the ham into bite size pieces, do the same with your potatoes.   Add water and allow to simmer (I let mine simmer for a couple of hours) adding more water as necessary.  Add salt & pepper to taste.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, shortening and water and mix well until it forms a nice dough. Separate the dough into a couple of sections and roll it out on a floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut in 1-inch squares (a pizza cutter makes quick work of this step).  Repeat until all dough is rolled & cut.

Allow the dough to air dry for about 30 minutes.

Bring broth/meat/potato mixture to a full boil and then drop dough in a few pieces at a time.  Stirring as you go. Boil for10-15 minutes, then drop the heat and allow to simmer until you reach your desired consistency.  Stir occasionally.  I allowed mine to simmer for 45 minutes+/- on low.

Variations: use chicken instead of ham, and/or add fresh herbs (parsley, chives, or sage).
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy! I was thinking of making a more traditional pot pie with our leftover ham but I might try this instead.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!