Pages

Friday, April 3, 2020

Weekly Wrap Up - Birthday Week

I've been doing more reading and writing during the lock down.   I try to use my writing (both here and on FB) to be encouraging and to help bring peace to a chaotic world.  In case you missed it, you can read my latest encouraging article, at Courage is a Decision.

My reading goes in spurts, as in I'll read a whole book in one day and then wait a few days before grabbing another one.  Follow this link to a book review, and the rest at What I'm Reading - February Into March.

Our weekend was much like last weekend.  Tom worked again Saturday and Sunday.  I think the last day he had off was March 15, but I'm not sure he was off then.   The weather was glorious here, so we were able to get some outdoor projects done on Saturday.  It would be a great time to paint the shutters and front entryway door, if I had paint.     Sunday we had church at home watching EMIC online and we used YouTube for our worship service.   Sunday's dinner was a pork roast, roasted asparagus, mashed potatoes and biscuits.

Monday, Lindsey and I got to sleep in.  Bella's mom (an LPN) was given the day off from the hospital because it's slow right now, so Bella wasn't with us.   The weather was incredible.  We opened all the windows and let the house air out all day.  Olivia spent most of her day laying out in the back yard tanning, while reading a book (WW2 of course).  Lindsey worked on her regular school work then read as well.   Our governor had a press conference and put a "Stay-at-Home Order" in effect.  It's basically the same as last weeks declaration, except this one says they WILL enforce the order, so groups of 10 or more outside or inside is punishable.   I've been working on projects around the house, nothing big, just little tasks.  The evening consisted of an outdoor walk.  Dinner was chimichangas and Spanish rice.
Tuesday Bella arrived on time and the day was off an running.  Knowing that the first of the month will bring more shoppers and shortages to the stores, I decided to get groceries today instead of Thursday.  There was less to choose from, but also less people. I was able to get what I had on the list with the exception of trashbags, so that's not too bad.  I may not have to go back out until after Easter.  The warm weather left, rain and cool air moved in and I had to turn the heat back on.  Both girls got their school work done early on.   For dinner we had chicken tenders, salad and Italian bread.

Wednesday was a cold and damp day.  The temperatures were hovering in the 40's most of the day, so I fired up the wood stove once again.  Bella didn't get here until 8:30, so we had time for 2 cups of coffee before she arrived, and Lindsey was able to get her math and Spanish done as well.   Lindsey has been working with Bella on her reading skills and today they added some math to change things up.  Mid-morning the girls went out for a walk break.  After lunch and naptime, Olivia and Lindsey both walked Bella around our immediate neighborhood doing a "bear hunt".  Is "bear hunting" a thing where you are?  It's where people put teddy bears in visible locations on your property (window, front porch, etc) and then parents can walk/drive their kids around and look for bears to give them something to do.   Dinner was baked macaroni and cheese, beets and pineapple.

Thursday was my birthday!   Tom had scheduled a vacation day, as we typically do a day trip for birthdays.  Obviously, that didn't happen this year.   He did get up early and fix breakfast for me.  I got a lovely solar powered garden decoration (peacock) and a wax melt warmer, and Olivia made me a great card.  Tom also worked on a few projects around the house that I'd asked him to do.  The girls got their schoolwork done and took Bella on another bear hunt in the opposite direction of their previous walk.  My brother showed up late in the afternoon with his famous birthday cake, and all was right in my world!   We had a lovely visit, from a safe 6ft distance at the end of my driveway, grins.  We had a low key evening, and I fixed crack chicken and cheese fries for dinner...and there was CAKE!

Friday morning was pretty typical.  Lindsey's getting into a good rhythm of getting her schoolwork done with Bella here.  Both girls work ahead during the week, so everyone got done their school work pretty early, just a math test for each.  I spent the morning doing housework and laundry, and worked on lesson plans in the afternoon.   The weather was really nice so we all spent a lot of time soaking up the sun in the afternoon.   Dinner will be left over crack chicken and a salad, and CAKE!

Blast From the Past

Hands on projects can be beneficial at any age.  Last week I showed a project Olivia did as a teen.  This week I'm sharing Lindsey's study of Stonehenge and the project she created to go with it.  The salt dough recipe included in the article lends itself to all kinds of projects for young and old.

Have a good weekend.  Hug your kids, wash your hands and stay hopeful!

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! What beautiful presents and yummy looking cake! It's great that you got everything but trash bags. I'm almost out of Sprite Zero and my walmart has been out of stock the past few visits...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday. We have a birthday every week for the next few weeks. They are all milestone birthdays and we are trying to make them as special as possible while being home. Your week sounds like a nice home week.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! I'm glad you got to have your cake. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!